The Industry 4.0, which encompasses Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and smart manufacturing, refers to a new phase in the Industrial Revolution that focuses heavily on interconnectivity, automation, machine learning, and real-time data. This new industrial revolution requires your company to spend also the necessary attention to Industrial control system (ICS), also known as Operations Technology (OT).
Industrial control system (ICS) is a collective term used to describe different types of control systems and associated instrumentation, which include the devices, systems, networks, and controls used to operate and/or automate industrial processes. Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems can be considered a subset of Industrial Control Systems. SCADA generally refers to control systems that span a large geographic area, such as a gas pipeline infrastructure, power transmission system or water distribution system. Other ICS types are distributed control systems (DCS), process control systems (PCS), safety control systems (SIS) and smaller control systems configurations such as programmable logic controllers (PLC).
Industrial control systems are at risk from a security point of view as environments are rapidly being connected to IT networks. This increased connectivity opens ICS networks up to a variety of security issues and potential attacks. Every (Industrial) Internet of Things ((I)IoT) connected device or component could potentially be a liability.
Considering the wide range of ICS systems / networks / devices, almost all organizations are using ICS’s and confronted with ICS security challenges. In order to counter these ICS security challenges, specific ICS Industry Standards such as ISA/IEC 62443 are developed and used.
Our security professionals assist with bridging the gap between ICS and ICT environments. We develop and implement comprehensive cybersecurity strategies and programs which includes (i.a.) create the necessary policies, design and/or test ICS systems, networks and test ICS devices.
clipeum and its partners can support you with:
ICS security audits
- Architecture & configuration review
- Technical Security Audits (pentesting)
- ICS device security testbed (in cooperation with IC4 research group)
Education and Awareness
- ICS security awareness sessions with focus on operators and engineering.
- ICS security training both for IT and OT personnel (tailored to the needs of your organisation)
NIS regulation compliance
- Assistance with compliance based on industry standards ISO27001 and IEC62433
- Assistance with setting up ICS security policies and procedures
Strengths of clipeum and its partners:
- Combining OT and IT experience to provide a comprehensive solution
- Auditors with years of experience in the field of information security
- ICS security testbed available for security research
- Member of the Belgian NIS task force